In 1806, Richmond entrepreneurs built the city’s first theater, the New Theater, at the present-day juncture of Thirteenth and Broad streets. This theater was likely the first in Virginia, and Richmonders of all colors, classes, and genders attended, although a three-tiered system of seating and ticket pricing separated attendees by race and class. Wealthy white patrons paid a dollar or more to sit in boxes thoroughly separated from the rest of the audience. Their middle and working class counterparts paid two or three quarters for orchestra seating. For a quarter or less, the city’s poorest citizens, any people of color, free or slave, and women “alone in public,” who were considered prostitutes, filled the theater’s pit and upper-most galleries.
Copyright © 2013 Routledge. This article first appeared in Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television 33, no. 1 (March 2013): 77-98.
Please note that downloads of the article are for private/personal use only
Ooten, Melissa. "Censorship in Black and White: The Burning Cross (1947), Band of Angels (1957) and the Politics of Film Censorship in the American South after World War II." Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television 33, no. 1 (March 2013): 77-98. doi:10.1080/01439685.2013.764719.