Judge Roger Gregory took over Chair of the School of Law in 1890. T.C. Williams' replacement was considered to be an exceptional scholar, attorney and soldier, and this was before he began his career as a Judge of the Circuit Court of King William County. When Judge Gregory began his term as Chair of the University of Richmond School of Law, he carried the newly reopened school for five years on his own, lecturing a student body of no more than 14 students.
David J. Mays, The Pursuit of Excellence: A History of the University of Richmond Law School, 16 (1970).